Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: you know...

I spent a lot of time trying to damp the square wave ringing in an ElectraPrint linestage OT. Using a resistor/cap snubber across the secondary, varying the values of both and watching the results on a 'scope.

I built a fixture so that I could switch the stage inputs and outputs between the signal generator/'scope combo, and a CD player and the rest of my system while leaving the linestage powered up.

Unfortunately, what I found was as I suppressed the ringing (amplitude and/or duration), the sound became dull and lifeless. Transients and leading edges really suffered (note the rise times on the scope images in this thread). Damping apparently is a double-edged sword. I finally removed the snubber completely and have never gone back.

Later I had a long talk with Jack Elliano and it was his opinion that any audio transformer will ring when subjected to a square wave - the true test is music signals in the passband. His point is they are inductive and don't handle the sudden transition of square waveforms.

The only time I've loaded the secondary of a transformer since then is when I wanted a specific impedance reflected on the primary. Otherwise all my input, inter-stage and output trans have unloaded secondaries.

That and 65 cents will get you a small coffee...

Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.