Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Speaking of coupling capacitors. Dynaco ST-70

I remember the days of yore when I used to despise the Rel multi-caps and now they are one of my favorite poly caps. This is one of my stock Dynaco ST-70s and I'm using .22@600v multicaps on the outputs and SonicCap Generation 1s on the input.They sound quite good with the Genelex RI KT77s but this amp has a nice Audio Sound Lab power supply module which is full of Panasonic ED caps and very thick circuit traces which kind of emulates a poor man's McShane type power supply especially with good grounding.This amp sounds remarkably good in the sense that it has decent dynamics,bass, and upper end detail that is normally weak in a stock ST-70 when compared to its peers of the era.
This is why it comes down to synergy.The Multicap is brighter on the top end and that helps a stock ST-70 and this is the fine tuning that Jim McShane talks about with coupling caps.Throwing 300 dollar coupling caps in is not going to help anything if you have an amp or preamp with an anemic power supply or bad design.The K40s also sound very good in the stock ST-70s and I have one of those as well.It's all about getting the tuning right.
Now,before you carried away and ask if the stock ST-70 is going to sound better than the Latino ST-70,the answer is an unequivocal NO!
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Speaking of coupling capacitors. Dynaco ST-70 - Michael Samra 00:02:06 02/18/17 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.