Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

"use that lead as outer foil connector...."

In your previous post, I don't think you made that clear, but it makes sense among the various alternatives.

When the Russian Teflon capacitors (of all kinds) were "discovered" by TubeDIY aficionados, there were several posts about totally removing the metal casing, de-soldering the typical low quality leads in favor of better wire, and some even encased the capacitor in PVC tubing or coated them with epoxy. That's what I was trying to do when I killed an 0.47uF FT series (I think it's FT, anyway). The idea of doing this mod seems to have died on this forum, but I am willing to believe it would make an improvement to the sound, which is why I tried it once. In this thread, no one has mentioned the efficacy of doing that.

It occurs to me that if you are going to ground the case to the "outer foil", by which I think you mean the capacitor lead that is attached in the circuit AS IF it is the outer foil, do you also have to identify which lead actually IS connected to the outer foil? Because if you do, I found that to be impossible, possibly because of the metal case getting in the way. Catch-22.

Edits: 02/17/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "use that lead as outer foil connector...." - Lew 07:22:02 02/17/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.