Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Halogen Lighting Transformer w/ Rectifier & Filter?

I was thinking about another use for the lighting transformers today, a means of saving space and weight. Essentially, I'm looking for a better way to power 12V and 6V IDH tubes, especially those that draw substantial current - 6AS7s, 6BL7s, quads of 6W6s, etc. If the ~12VAC (or modified 6VAC) output of the electronic transformer were fed to a bridge rectifier, then to a LC filter, the result would be a much smaller and more efficient system than the conventional linear filament transformer.
In this application, the input of the lighting transformer wouldn't need the typical modification discussed here regarding the line filter capacitor and fusible resistor. The transformer could operate essentially as-is, and filtering the 60kHz output should be very simple. I like the fact that typical switching supplies produce DC, and that they're regulated. However, they're much larger than the lighting transformers, and they won't fit well (if at all) under the 1.5-2" chassis I want to use.

Quite a few people here have experimented with the halogen transformers for ultrasonic heating. Have any of you tried rectifying and filtering the output for the purpose described above?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Halogen Lighting Transformer w/ Rectifier & Filter? - Triode_Kingdom 11:36:31 02/12/17 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.