Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Opinions please: need recommendations for a Triode driver for a 2a3

Hi Pat.

I've been viewing the posts on this subject,
and can see that this is just wrangling in the mud....

The reason that people use a high-gain (mu of 85-to-100)tube at an amp's input is to conserve energy at the input-signal level. What happens with all this gain at the input stage is that the tube responds with speed, and
superb detail and powerful dynamics to small changes in input signal amplitude.

Usually the standing plate current is much lower also. What this
delivers is FAR greater response-to-signal "jump factor", and also to
signal content because the input signal doesn't have to drive into as
much standing plate current. The low plate current in the 100mu tube allows a far greater percentage of the input signal to be processed into
music.

Such a setup delivers superior performance on High-Efficiency speakers ONLY.

This effect diminishes rapidly as speaker sensitivity decreases, and becomes a liability after the input voltage level has to be pushed hard enough that the input tube saturates-- it cannot provide enough power to overcome the Miller Capacitance of the tube being driven at that power level.

When speaker sensitivity decreases below about 97db/watt level, amplifiers of the 45, 2A3 and even 300B types require Higher Power
driver stages with lower amp-factors because the amp must be driven harder by the input signal in order to drive the less efficient speaker.

You are using a Quad ESL-63. I would use a Solid-State amplifier of
over 200 watts on this speaker, and for tube power, I would use a Push-Pull amplifier of at least 75 watts per channel.

Trying to drive this speaker with a 2A3 is a complete waste of your time.....

-Dennis-

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Opinions please: need recommendations for a Triode driver for a 2a3 - tube wrangler 20:42:07 01/18/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.