Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

off topic, but there is a connection...

This is what I have been doing while waiting for the remainder of my parts to finish the 26/813/813 amp. Still need the two smaller halo trans to try on the 26 filaments.
Anyway, I have always wanted to try making some Charcuterie, and decided to turn our twelve year old frost free upright freezer into a curing chamber and replace it with a new freezer. I grow a large organic garden each year and freeze enough veggies to last my wife and I the entire year, so we use a lot of freezer space.
I did a lot of research on the web first and found one article that recommended using a frost free freezer instead of the usual fridge for the curing chamber because you have more room and a fan inside. Just install a cool air humidifier (this one has a built in hygrometer to turn it on and off to keep it at 75% RH) cut a couple of 2-3 inch holes in the front door (could be easily closed up if I decide to use it as a freezer again) and purchase a neat little gadget on line that takes the place of the thermostat on the freezer and allows you to keep the required 55 degrees temp needed for curing. You plug the freezer into it and plug it into an outlet. You then have an expanded temperature range (35 to 85 degrees F) Also installed a low speed 115 volt computer fan in front of the top air inlet to keep fresh air circulating around everything.
It only took a couple of days to make the alterations and fine tune the temp and humidity to a good operating range, and now it runs on it's own 24/7 and all I have to do is fill the water container on the humidifier every couple of weeks. There are literally hundreds of different types of dry cured sausages and cured meats you can make with relative ease and little expense. Many use pork shoulder as a base, and it is one of the cheapest cuts of meat you can buy. Most take one or two months from start to finish, and the results are just delicious. What you see in there right now are Spanish chorizo and pancetta (unsmoked bacon) on the top shelf and salami on the bottom shelf. Still to come are Copa and Bresaola (being salt cured for 2 weeks before air drying in the chamber). Great fun and great eats!

Edits: 01/18/17 01/18/17 01/18/17 01/18/17 01/18/17 01/18/17 01/18/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - off topic, but there is a connection... - vinnie2 05:59:48 01/18/17 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.