Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 159ZA chokes ...

The NICE thing is, Rage and I do different things, but we remain trusted friends. We respect each other. One huge advantage I have is I get to spend about three days every year in Denver, RMAF, listening to, sometimes even exhibiting, Dennis Fraker's set up.

This year Dennis got a rave review from Herb Reichert / Stereophile, as one of Herb's two most favorite rooms to visit and hear, among 100s of rooms at the Show.

Guess what guys, in Denver - 2016, we were all listening to LSES, ( L1 = L2) chokes measuring LESS THAN the Hammond 159ZA is speced, both in HY and DCR / Ohms, and no caps over 50 uF. Sorta cool for me to know ( below the deck ) what I am hearing, experience the combo on differing program material, and HEAR how it can perform.

Since the show, DF tells me he has gone BEYOND that pair of amps he demoed, from his recent telephone descriptions to me. Much Fun !

Have a great day. My upcoming JJ 2A3-40 monoblocks will be using custom Partridge output transformers, tiny things, with a primary DCR of only 35 Ohms !!! versus the Magnequest DS-050's 360 Ohms of primary DCR. THAT change, with the LSES supply, should truly be nice to listen to.

'Next up, need to source Midnight Blue Wrinkle Powder Coat. EZ.

Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.