Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: update 3

What I saying is this, if your choke is critical inductance, with the current draw of the circuit alone, then you don't need shunt resistors to increase the current draw.

While this is true, it isn't the whole story particularly if using a solid state or directly heated rectifiers. In this case the B+ comes up much quicker than the tubes and without the tube current draw the B+ shoots up to the full cap input value for a moment. Sometimes this doesn't matter but consider a 400V choke input supply and some 300B's heated with coleman regs. Before the output tubes are hot, the B+ will jump up to over 600V which isn't too big a deal for the tubes since current draw will be 0 but it might be a bit of a surprise to the caps (both PS and coupling)

I have an amp here that uses damper diodes for rectification and coleman regs for the 300B's and they track each other perfectly on initial turnon but if you shut the amp off for a moment and then turn it back on, the dampers conduct almost immediately since they are still warm but the filament regs take the normal time to gently ramp up causing a temporary overvoltage situation that needs to be accounted for and I have some shorted 600V coupling caps to prove it.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.