Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Tube OP POINTS

Thanks for repeating yourself Jeff - unlikely as it is, there maybe someone new to the board who missed it the previous gazillion times.

I have asked Jac re OPs and he responded that he did not like his tubes run at low dissipation - his tubes have an ideal operating temp that would not be achieved with low dissipation points. I can't remember whether I was asking about the high gain tubes or the 2A3 - it was a while ago... but the message I got was that it applies generally to EML tubes.

Still, as a rule of thumb, I prefer points are no more than 2/3 total dissipation. I run a 2A3-S at 13W... it is less than 2/3 of the rated 28W. I have some meshies as well, rated at 17W, but don't run then in my amp often. My next build will run the 2A3s at ~42mA and 250V.

As for bread-boarding, it does allow proof of concept and reductionist experimentation that can be learned from, quickly. Not where I'd do my final tuning tho. But don't fret, I understand that reductionist inquiry is no substitute for systems approach. I reckon your builds have a particular demand for in situ voicing due to their layout.

Okay, I have dragged this even further off-topic. How about we leave it there and hope this thread can get back on track.

Cheers,

"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

Edits: 10/17/16 10/17/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tube OP POINTS - 91derlust 01:47:30 10/17/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.