Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: OK, let's assume worst case...

"The choke must be able to take that current in addition to the quiescent DC "

Paul, I think these consumer-grade transformers are capable of much more than that. They're designed to work with a SE pentode like the 6BQ5 or 6V6 drawing 60-70mA at idle. In this service, the primary winding would be subjected to at least 160V RMS to produce 5W at the secondary. My application is much less demanding in terms of voltage and current, probably only whatever is present at the cathode of a 7044 or 6BX7 direct coupled to an output grid.

What really interests me about all this is the increase in performance of the winding when used in a low power, low-Z circuit. I believe both the high and low ends will be extended, relative to the original application. Incidentally, I picked out a transformer this evening, and the primary DCR measures 450 Ohms. I'll test it for inductance this weekend.

Honestly, I'm excited about the prospect of using these to choke load CFs. I've been looking for a less expensive alternative for some time. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.