Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: The circuit designer is vintage radio tech...

" the circuit should be good for a job like G2 supply voltage? "

Well, the concept seems OK in theory. Whether it will function as intended in practice won't be known unless you build it. If I were attempting to use it, I would first need to study the datasheets for the semiconductors to determine whether the design as presented is fundamentally correct. I would also need to consider the usual "what-ifs," such as a shorted output and other issues, then decide whether to include protection for those things. After that, I'd have to build it, attach it to the power supply I intend to use and search for any undesired behavior such as oscillations and noise. The final electrical test would be monitoring of the output with a scope while the amplifier is in use to be sure the circuit is regulating correctly and doesn't misbehave in some unforeseen way. Once all that was done, I would collect a group of people to listen to the amplifier, preferably with a second amp using a "standard" screen feed for comparison.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the general process that I find necessary in order to ensure my work is good. FWIW, you'll probably find numerous people around who will tell you that mixing SS with HV tube circuitry is asking for trouble. I share that perspective, especially when the circuit isn't a commercial design and the DIY user isn't a design engineer. Some very fine equipment has used nothing more than a resistor and cap to feed the screens. You should also consider VR tubes for this. In addition to everything else, they glow. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The circuit designer is vintage radio tech... - Triode_Kingdom 16:16:17 10/12/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.