Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Protect Yourself from Chinese Products

"Hammond has moved some production to China."

Purchases must be managed carefully for that reason. Here's how I do it to avoid getting burned:

First, you need either a picture of the product that says "Made in Canada/USA/Germany etc." (like the photo in the Allied catalog) or a seller's description indicating non-Chinese origin. If it's an eBay purchase without a good picture, I always ask the seller before buying. Second, be certain you can return the parts if they turn out to be Chinese. I do this by making all purchases using a credit card. I also never buy from sellers in a foreign country regarding this particular issue (Chinese vs Western manufacture). Foreign purchases are not protected by credit card contracts. Note that I'm not talking about buying things like Russian capacitors here, just items that might be deceptively made in China. Finally, when I receive parts or products that differ significantly from the description, such as being Chinese rather than the Western parts I expected, I just send them back. I don't contact the seller. I don't complain to eBay or PayPal. They just go back with delivery confirmation (tracking). It's been my experience, based on the rare cases when I've had this problem, that the credit card company will *always* credit my account.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.