Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Rectifier current/voltage question...?

I'm trying to puzzle this out so could do with some help. I have a small mains transformer which is specified as "125-0-125 at 50mA".

I'm trying to establish the safe current capability with:
1. Full wave rectification (2 phase) with a EZ80 with CLCLC, first cap can be 10uF to 40uF. Voltage off load here is 180v

2. Hybrid Graetz bridge, EZ80 plus 2 diodes with choke input. Choke is 15H at 30mA.

I could do with around 200v at 30mA - it's for a 01A preamp so maybe 10-15mA needed.

When the transformer is marked "125-0-125 at 50mA", what current will it actually deliver in these cases?

I've been looking at the Hammond tutorial see here: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c007.pdf

So is the "50ma" what Hammond refers to as the "Sec I AC"? if so:
1. Cap input full wave, I DC = Sec I AC = 50mA
2. Hybrid bridge choke input, I DC = .94 Sec I AC = 47mA

Voltage out for 1. is .71 of Sec V AC (250v) = 178v, which is exactly what I get off load
Voltage out for 2. is .94 of Sec V AC (250v) = 235v.

So if all the above is correct, 235v at 47mA looks better for an 01A preamp than 178v at 50mA. The Hybrid bridge option looks win-win, more volts and the same current capability.

This looks like something for nothing! Is all this correct?

Edits: 09/10/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Rectifier current/voltage question...? - andy evans 02:02:27 09/10/16 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.