Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: What does that cap do becase I already have a resistive load

The cap adds a reactive component to the load that more closely approximates a real world speaker, especially an electrostat. Most feedback amps will exhibit overshoot and ringing to some degree or another when presented with a reactive and esp a capacitive load. The overshoot and ringing are indicative of overall amp stability. The less the overshoot and more damped the ringing, the more likely the amp is stable under typical operating conditions. Some amps will spontaneously oscillate w/o applied signal at some ultrasonic frequency when presented with a reactive load.

I always check for stability when working with a vintage amp to be sure it won't blow something up if high cap cable or estat type speaker is anticipated.

Looking at that 10KHz waveform again, it looks suspiciously bandwidth limited. Next time you check sq wave perf, I suggest you put the scope in dual trace mode and show both input to amp as well as output.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.