Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Yes, I used a 'scope.

The experience caused me to do some internet surfing, and I did find that I am not crazy. Others have also found that the usual audiophile methods for determining polarity of a film cap do not work so well for high value capacitance. The one qualification I would make as regards my finding is that I am not immersed in this business every day of my life. So when I encounter a new problem in electronics, I often have to re-educate myself with respect to the relevant science that I may have forgotten due to not using it. I cited one example of where I may have erred in not subjecting the capacitor to very low frequencies, where impedance might have enabled me to see a difference. I think I went down to 50Hz with my audio signal generator. I actually short-circuited the problem by deciding to use some 10uF Auricap XOs, which come from the factory with color-coding, denoting the lead connected to the outer foil. That decision was made based on the idea that the Auricaps would sound better than what I had (Cornell-Dubillier), not just because of the lead markings on the former brand.

Now you've got me thinking that it would be interesting to try lower frequencies on the 10uF CDE capacitors, which went back into my stash after I decided not to use them in this application. Just to see if that works.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Yes, I used a 'scope. - Lew 07:23:55 08/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.