Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

FINAL TALLEY - Clip lead Orientating Film Caps in SET Amp

Well, we have the final talley.

Over the last several days, I have clip-lead orientated TEN cap positions in my two stage DC stereo SET 45 amp, six power supply film cap positions and four Rk Bypass film cap positions. I listened very intently, and triple checked it all.

Out of 10 positions in this stereo amp, the film caps were wired OUT of optimal 180 degree orientation, in 8 positions!! 80% were " backwards".

That is quite a number. Imagine what happens when you install backwards the Rk film bypass cap of BOTH of the amp's main ( only ) mu of 100 driver tubes !! BOTH of mine were originally installed backwards.

I need a day of so to finalize-solder inplace the last-tested caps, and give a listen and report..

As of last night, with 9 of the 10 film cap positions optimized, the amp played "clearer" to me. NEED to properly solder all and give an audition with 10 out of 10 film caps positioned 180 degrees correctly.

How is the amp you are using now film-cap-positioned? You likely don't know, do you ? There is WORK to be done - by all of us !! The fruit of your time and labor will be sweet !! Have fun.

I'll try to take some underside photos when done. I added two DynamiCap 4.0 uF Es to the front end supply, ( LIKE them !!! ) and did additional wire optimizations, also using clip leads to assist me in amounts of wire determinations - between spans, by ear. Cute.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/22/16 08/22/16 08/22/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - FINAL TALLEY - Clip lead Orientating Film Caps in SET Amp - drlowmu 12:14:40 08/22/16 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.