Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: "How the film cap is wound does not GUARANTEE what will sound best in the circuit."

Lew,

I MAY, in the future, go and gain SOLID experience measuring for the outer foil. Afterwards - I might disassemble the leads from this amp, and test for outer foil correlations. But if I did all this work, it would be so that I can build a second amp easier ( thinking JJ2A3 DC SET, stereo ).

I am not so sure I would give the information to others, who have done LITTLE or NO work at all. That would depend upon my intent, to be 100% amateur, or sell an item or two, every now and than. I don't know the answer to that.

I should measure the already - optimized Custom ALTEC crossovers' orientations too, may be easy to do, its a large unit, easy to parts-access.

BUT, I have forged a path here for others so inclined, a guy, say, like Nickel Core !! Others, using 100dB or higher speakers, can do this work, and document foil orientations, as we have discussed herein. If they ( or you ) wanna give out your findings, that is up to them.

Its sorta COOL when you do film cap orientations unprejudiced, 100% by ear. But its sorta smart IF you were to test for outer foil first, and NOT let that testing prejudice your listening determinations.

Lew. The adding of " more wire " within spans of this DC amp was a BIG thing, in terms of fleshing-out the music, and getting maximum dynamic contrasts. So EZ to hear on A7-800s !!! Warning !!! - too much wire SLOWS the pace, and loses the timing, and De Highs!!

I FINISHED wire and orientation of my right channel last night. I had the high gain ( 1/2 12AX7 ) Driver stage's Rk bypass cap 180 degrees BACKWARDS, and, being a dominant tube, with most of the amp's gain, it was EASY to A-B that. The presentation became " more real sounding " to me, guitar strings in the background became more realistic, when I reversed it and Wonder Soldered it in place.

I am getting WEARY of all this work. I have been " busting my chops " ( self-imposed) on building this ALTEC VOTT system, " as good as I can ", since I got the 825 VOTT enclosures last December. I spent all of 2015 listening to 515B woofers full range !! One night this week I had a wire-span idea while lying in bed, got up at 3 AM and listened till 4:20 AM !!

Right now, I wanna finish the Left channel, and hear music at home, maybe invite some of my friends from Church over to hear it. I am VERY impressed with this simple two-way ALTEC. Love the horn loading's effect on the 515B woofer.

So many ALTEC A7 VOTTs are done wrong !!! A shame.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/21/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.