Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: here we go again.......

I agree that there are many ways to get the sound one is searching for. While the CCS I chose may not be ideal, the proof is in the pudding. I tried several alternatives and this approach was marginally cleaner and clearer than the alternative approaches. Maybe it is the 6K5, maybe the CCS, I can't really say other than it is slightly and noticeably cleaner than the other topologies I tried. Why would a 6K5, a low transconductance tube from the 1930s, sound cleaner than a state of the tube art high transconductance Mullard E180F (triode connected) from the 1960s?

As an aside: I use the K&K CCS because I tried wiring up MOSFETs on perf board but was frustrated with the perf board, small parts and solder "wiskers" and I really couldn't see well enough to ensure I was soldering what I thought I was soldering. The K&K CCS board and Pete Millet's A2 buffer make using solid state devices easy. I know I can experiment with different devices like the BJTs on these boards, but for now I am using them as designed because they sound excellent. I have plenty of alternative SS devices for my next amp using the 6F5 and will experiment some more.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.