Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

A Modern Misconception

"It is my understand that the higher load impedance (to lengthen and straighten the linear part of the curve) is part of the Class A package.

From all the reading I've done, Class A is not just one thing, it's a whole package with the intent of achieving the least harmonic distortion possible (while still leaving some power in a power stage)."

That's incorrect. If the definition of Class A includes linearity at all, it is only from the perspective that operating a single-ended stage at the midpoint between cutoff and saturation will generally provide low distortion results. At the time this class designation was assigned to its respective operating condition, reducing distortion to the levels we expect today was not a consideration. What you're reciting is the modern use of Class A in an audiophile implementation. It carries an emphasis on reduced distortion - at the expense of output power - that is not a component of the original definition of Class A operation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.