Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

here we go again.......

Seeing as how it could be a long winter and I have finished my 26/26/45 amp, I am considering taking another stab at actually trying to design one. I have Bruce's book and Morgan's book and posts saved from the kind souls here who have tried to help me get my head around this stuff, but I have yet to be able to bring it all together.
This time I want to bread board a simple two stage dht SET using the 71A as an output tube. Using the above mentioned resources, I have come up with the following operating points for the 71a.

plate volts 180 vdc, plate current 20 mA, and grid volts -40 vdc.

That part was pretty easy, but now I have run aground on how to choose a driver tube. The explanations I have read so far are quite complex, and I am wondering if anyone knows of one that is simple and straight forward?

I was thinking a 6SL7 in srpp might work as I have a schem of a SET 45 amp that did used that, and I built the "Bugle" some years ago and liked the sound of it. It used 6SL7's in srpp mode as drivers.
Or maybe I could use two 26's like I did with the 45 amp? I do like the sound of the all dht amps. I would really like to learn how to determine which of these, if any, will work properly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - here we go again....... - vinnie2 06:15:35 08/19/16 (34)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.