Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I don't disagree with the main aims of Class A ...

or the essence of what you say as being typically the main attributes of Class A. But taking a line here or there out of a handbook is out of context in that they are not the lines that define Class A, they are merely attributes typical of the class and its configuration as applied to SE power amps in most of your examples.

But Class A is a definition applied to all amplifiers and (for example) there is no way that it's necessary to set an operating point anywhere near "one half of the cutoff voltage in a low signal application to achieve performance worthy of Class A even by your high standards:)

The best way I can get my point across is to ask you this question. If I design an amplifier that under normal operating conditions remains in conduction with no grid current, but I do not set the operating point anywhere near the "midpoint" or "the most linear part of the curve" yet achieve the main goal (even using your argument) of low distortion, how would YOU classify it?

Dave also made a valid point about clipping. Does this means that any amplifier capable of overload cannot be classified as Class A?

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.