Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Initial Report, Film Cap 180 degree orientation - Employing new-style Clip Leads

First

I want to thank "Alpha Al " for suggesting the Mueller 60C all copper alligator clips. In conjunction with the Mil Spec wire, they were somewhat better sounding than "stock" alligator clips on the ends. The 60Cs allowed me to make better subjective decisions, easier. Way to go, Al !!

As of Wednesday, 8-16-16, I have had the time to evaluate all four main caps associated with my amp's B+ supply, and also the two main Rk caps that bypass my Type 45 tubes' cathode resistor. Six film caps in total - so far.

Out of these six film caps, ( I went back and forth listening very carefully, on each of the six film caps,) I discovered that 5 out of the 6 in my SET were installed 180 degrees wrong. That is some percentage !!! 83.33% backwards. WOW.

( Also helpful, using clip leads ) I find that with LSES ( Low Stored Energy Supply ) B+ filtering, the AMOUNT of WIRE in the B+ ( and ground ) systems plays a large roll in the SET's ultimate performance. I USED the newly made " good " clip leads to add wire, between each wired span of the power supply, and LISTENED to the effect, to find the OPTIMAL amount.

Speakers over 100 dB ( ALTEC, JBL, ALE ) are the needed tools for doing audio design by ear. In most cases, I added MORE wire than what was originally there. IF you add too much wire, you LOSE high end, and the music's pace and timing, so - one must trade-off intelligently.

The WIRE exercise was worth the time and effort.

I am HESITANT, its premature, to FULLY discuss what I heard, because the front end of this SET amp now " begs" to be both wire and cap optimized, as I just did to the supply and Type 45 Finals' Rks. When I finish this, I will know better what the overall result will sound like, and if I made any mistakes. So far, me thinks, so good.

One thing I am willing to bet, 99.99% of the people listening to SET amps, Push-Pull tube amps, etc., have NO CLUE as to if ALL their expensive, fancy smancy film caps, are installed in their optimal 180 degree position !! No one ( I know of ) has listened to EACH film cap, both positions, on well-wired / optimized high efficiency speakers.

For the record, in my DIY passive speaker crossovers ( ALTEC VOTT A7-800s ), the film caps - are ALL 180 degree optimized, eight film caps...YES !!

Get to it Dudes,....new audio playback pleasures might possibly await you !!

Have fun.

Jeff Medwin

PS, An old LA, CA friend, Enid Lumley would have really liked this !! She was "something else " !

Edits: 08/18/16 08/18/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Initial Report, Film Cap 180 degree orientation - Employing new-style Clip Leads - drlowmu 08:24:26 08/18/16 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.