Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Hmmmmmmm...

I'm referring to setting operating parameters such that the device is allowed to operate in the curved portions of the curve and not to bias point. This might be done to maximize power output of a single ended class A audio output stage where high distortion is acceptable. The output stage never reaches cutoff, saturation or g1 current but is not operating in the most linear region at max design output. This is a class A mode of operation.

Steve
That seems like a somewhat feasible argument to be made for a form of class A operation.Nobody denies how text defines class A theory as a device that conducts for 360 degrees of the cycle.All single ended circuits are class A,because they don't share the cycle with an alternate device.You mentioned that some single ended output stages are ok with high distortion and running in the non linear portion of their curves? Now,you just threw away the two major objectives for using class A in the first place. We have already sacrificed half of our power by using this mode of operation.Now,to supposedly gain a fraction of that power back,we decide to discard the other most desirable attribute of Class A operation which is linearity.Doesn't this seem just a wee bit silly for the cost of what we lose in power? I know we are kind of arguing semantics here but class A as it pertains to audio amplification should at the very least, be run in the most linear part of the curve.Many expanded text definitions say this as well.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 08/17/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.