Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: All that is not a clear, concise definition...

The problem with what you present is that in the context of a real-world device you can not unambiguously define "linear" w/o also introducing an arbitrarily chosen measure of linearity "goodness" such as absolute deviation from perfect, % distortion etc. Words such as "substantial", "most linear" (implying imperfect absolute linearity), and "approximately" are open to interpretation and thus not ideal as part of a definition although they may useful as parts of descriptions and characteristics.

As an example of the inherent ambiguity in the stuff you cited, consider the plot used to graphically demonstrate "linearity". What's to prevent someone from extending the "linear" region by +/-10%? To my eye everything is still linear. Maybe you'll agree, maybe you won't - who's correct ? How about to the point just before the line begins to curve? But where exactly does the line begin to curve? How far away from that curve point must one be to remain in the linear region? Without an agreement on what constitutes acceptable deviation from perfect linearity, a measure of linearity goodness, you might pick one point and I might pick another. IOW, the plot and accompanying text are ambiguous and ambiguity really isn't compatible with a definition.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.