Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Thank you. I really like page 68

"Classes of amplifiers, Reason for Classifications"

The book explains that the reason for classifications is to make it easy to divide types (WRT their intended purpose) without having to explain every time.

Class A is clearly described as an amplifier where the tube is operated in a way that gives the least distortion. Where the tube is operated only in the most linear part of the curve.

I've been trying to explain this, here on the AA, for years.

The short definition of Class A found in most books, "it's Class A as long as the current never cuts off" is NOT the TRUE definition of Class A.

It is true that with Class A the tube never cuts off but that is only a small part of the story. I mean a horse has 4 legs, that doesn't mean that all animals with 4 legs are horses.

The books that give that short definition always go on to describe an operating condition that does fit the true definition of Class A.

This book goes straight to the point.

That point being, A Class A amplifier will give the least amount of distortion (for the chosen tube) because the tube is being operated only in the most linear part of the curve.

Thank you Michael.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 08/16/16 08/16/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.