Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: So, since we are kindred car guys,...

My freshman year college ( dorm ) rooomate had a baby blue Alpha. I now use a Chrysler MiniVan.

Lew, on caps, I have decided JUST to orientate them by ear only, and not take the time to find out what is the inner and outer winding.

SO far, on my L1/C1/L2/C2 SET amp filter, BOTH main caps associated with C1 ( 35 uF and 5 uF ) were determined by me to be installed originally " out of orientation". It was fuzzy and muffled sounding versus the correct orientation, like someone robbed the music of its timbres slightly, and threw gauze over the speakers.

I ALSO am finding these clip leads allow me to select the correct AMOUNT of wire, between components. Its a trade-off between maximum dynamics, and, with too much wire, losing the highs !!!

Oh my dear, Gusser, T.K., etc all would have a hard time with this post, as may others. Hey, its the state of the art in audio, designing, optimizing and DIY implementing by ear !! One needs good over-100 DB speakers to make these determinations easily and properly, which leads to the big three, ALTEC, JBL, and ALE as being the minimum quality acceptable, speaker / tube amp design-wise. I have RE-DONE my A7-800 crossovers extensively, last two weeks, using these same techniques, to good result.

You coming to RMAF in October, Denver ? If so, lets do lunch.

Jeff

Edits: 08/16/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.