Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

LOL Speaking of amusing the owner this should mae you chuckle

That has been going on since the beginning of electronics and today's ham radio operators are the worst offenders when it comes to gadgets on their equipment.This is why we call them appliance operators.Many just go out and buy the biggest and most expensive transceiver with all the gadgets they can find and most have no clue on how those gadgets even operate or what they do,or if they are even needed.This guy buys this Icom and it was almost 11k pounds which would be about 15k USD I would guess..Anyway,he does have a beautiful 70ft tower with nice multiband antennas and the tower motors up and down but when you look at his other stuff in the shack,you just know the guy is in over his head when he starts talking about it's operation..He does use some external compression and tailoring of the audio.He claims his audio is as good as the BBC.While I have heard some really nice signals from side band,they were using a lot of commercial broadcast quality processing equipment to get there..Everyone of these radios like this top of the line Icom with so many useless gadgets,sounded buried compared to a less expensive radio that wasn't feeding a zillion sections to alter the signal.I'm puzzled as to why a radio with all these features need all the external processing? That's why you get tube transmitters and transceivers and you're ready to go.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 08/12/16 03/02/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.