Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

AMP Orientation - allows for testing film Caps' Orientation

Figured it out, my DIY adjustable equipment rack can make a nice amplifier holder, to test the many caps ( with the newly-made clip leads ), for all the film caps' proper 180 degree orientations.

All the amp's voltages tested " spot - on ", so I am ready to embark. I really anticipate a good result. The FIRST test, last night, just blew me away !!

ALTEC drivers are so glorious to use when doing tube amp design. The DGG LP in the right hand corner is Wilhelm Kempff, doing Beethoven Sonatas DGG 2830 151. See guys, I listen to classy music when I pick my nose.

Besides the film cap's proper ( best sounding ) 180 degree orientation in the circuit, I find that the WIRE connecting the cap to the circuit, the lead wire, has a MAJOR effect on the ALTECS, and that wire HAS to be optimized also. As Bob Fulton ( 1925-1988 ) used to say to us in 1978, " an inch of bad wire can ruin the musical experience ". You BETCHA !!!

Amp shown is my own DIY build, a direct coupled, two stage Type 45 stereo unit.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 08/11/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - AMP Orientation - allows for testing film Caps' Orientation - drlowmu 09:12:49 08/11/16 (23)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.