Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: When you say sibilance,do you mean harshness or exaggerated notes like when the treble is turned up?

Yes, the amp is the one, i think. PP class A amp with fixed bias.
The amp seems to exaggerate the f,s, and t sounds. With some recordings showing more of that tendency. But, i believe that some of that is less now that the amp has more hours on it.
The sibilance was most pronounced on "The Pentangle, Basket of Light". With Jacqui MacShee? vocals had a real obvious exageration on f's and s's.
Now that the amp has played for almost 20 hours it is not as bad. I have been playing it today for almost 8 hours and i played that Pentangle cd again. The track is called Lyke-Wake Dirge. It is mostly male and female vocals recorded live. I think the recording has exaggerated the esses in consonants. Some of the other tracks with the same vocalists are not as "hot" sounding.
Perhaps, i am being too picky, but other than this, the amp sounds very good indeed. cheers, Dak
PS, perhaps, it is a testament to that amp that the recording's deficiencies, has been laid bare so obviously.

Edits: 07/24/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.