Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Really no bad choices in these recommendations...

I actually have one each of almost all the recommended solder stations and I'd say there are really no bad choices among them, especially for the hobbyist (by that I mean someone like me who's often chipping away at a project on the bench and occasionally doing a marathon session when it's a lousy day out or one's otherwise becalmed).

I have a Weller like Mike showed, plus it's sibling with the temperature control dial. I also have a Hakko FX-888D (the one with the digital readout).

While I like the Hakko's quick change tips and digital readout, as well as the dial on the adjustable Weller, I find these are features I don't use a lot. I do change tips sometimes, but I'm not in such a hurry I can't wait a few minutes for things to cool down. Similarly, I tend to find a good temperature for a solder and stick with it, rarely adjusting it.

So I'd say, bottom line, if you're not a 'power user,' pick among the recommended stations and shop on price and delivery. Hakko and Weller are, of course, very common, so tips and parts are readily available for these. I do see the Weller products more in local hardware stores, but this is a somewhat illusory benefit - the things stocked in places like Home Depot are not typically for electronics.

Just my $0.02

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.