Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Bang for the Buck

" Only #45 DHTs sound better, in this power range."

This is an exercise to produce the absolute best sound at these reduced power levels. In that regard, the cost savings of using a 6V6 in triode VS a geniune DHT wouldn't be advantageous. If it's indisputably better, the 45 would be the one I'd use. I have virtually no experience with "flea-power" amplifiers, so I have to ask - is there a general consensus that the 45 is as good as it gets? Are there other tubes with good general availability that are as good or better?

Incidentally, I'm not sure "in production" is required, as long as the tubes are readily available. I see plenty of 45s and other "obsolete" tubes on eBay, so I think it's OK to include those in the mix.

It also occurs to me that I might have created an unnecessary limitation when I said that the cost of higher power gear could be avoided for this demonstration. Does a 211 or 845 wiggling around at 1/2W output sound better than a 45 working at a higher percentage of its capabilities? Do you think that the best low-power amp might in fact be a humongous DHT operating in the region below one watt? Maintaining a good S/N might be challenging, but again, a fairly exotic power supply is not out of the question.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.