Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Here is what's a bit puzzling about C minus supplies.

If you put a scope on the negative bias supply rail while music is playing,you can see the audio there at the source riding on the filter caps.

Simple logic would tell us that some of that audio signal is probably getting filtered out in the C minus supply since you can see audio riding on the C minus rail. Even tho bias draws very little current and needs very little filtering,wouldn't it make sense to build the lowest impedance C minus rail that you can so you have less of a chance of this happening? When I put a toroid and a full wave bridge in a Citation 2 in place of the original one diode C minus rail,it is noticeably better IMHO and I was almost tempted to add a choke in line as well.Maybe I'm over analyzing this but some of the best home brew and commercial amps I've ever heard use battery bias in the negative bias supply. The last one I heard used series connected nicads..
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Here is what's a bit puzzling about C minus supplies. - Michael Samra 13:24:06 07/10/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.