Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Tracked down a problem today...

Lee of Omaha,

I used the boards you used for years and they are really good. If you really want to hear that amp sound good or as good as it can take out the stiffness and put back some flab in the bottom end. I have a friend that has always been of the rule to put as little capacitance in just to keep it quiet. David Hafler was a great designer in his day and if he didn't do the designing then he had someone that did. He used very little capacitance in that amp and I always liked the way it sounded better that way than with loads of electrolytic capacitance. Also, as Mike Samra suggested, go with film caps if you can find places for them. The lower the value the better but again large enough just to get it quiet.

I built clones to the ST-70 on a larger chassis to be able to use film caps and it does sound better with them as compared to electrolytics. If you want a stiff sounding tube amp why not just go with solid state. Tubes are supposed to be romantic sounding.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.