Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Take a look at this.

Again.\, thanks for your thoughts and ideas. They are appreciated. Any day my "truths" are sincerely challenged is a good day.

If I gave the impression the cost of the gear is the gating item,please let me correct that notion. Mcintosh may be expensive but I am impressed by the caliber of its design, and thus its design engineers. I have a BSEE, an MSEE, anMSCIS, and although somewhat irrelevant in this discussion an MBA (Finance/economics). I appreciate the cleverness and committment of Gow et.al. These guys led the way in many respects, as did Hafler, Carver,Shearer,Lansing, and the Chief Scientist at HK (forget his name). Although I took a number of electronics and solid state classes in school, my engineering professional career was in signal processing i.e. Radar and Electronic Warfare systems. Now that I am at the stage in life I am free to pursue things simply for the personal joy of them, I study speaker design, tube electronics, ect. and appreciate the pillars of the crafts irrespective of the retail cost of their contributions.

EX: I just rebuilt 2 PAS preamps. The line amp stage, the Phono stage, and the power supplies are only distantly related to Haflers designs. I just had them tested and they produce .1% THD yet cost a tenth of a Mcintosh preamp. By the way, the boards were designed by a guy named Waters at DynacoDesigns.com. A guy there did the rebuild and the workmanship is a thing of beauty. Extraordinarily clean and the wiring is magnificent. Very orderly and wonderful soldering.Again, because of the quality of the design I would stack these up against Mcintosh and they cost well under $1000 each. They just look like a PAS instead of the Mac glass or super polished stainless. WHO CARES.

And really, if we are discussing cost what does Mcshane charge for his Citation restorations? I think its over $3000 for an amp that was a $200 kit when released. (They are quite pretty)
Stewart

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Take a look at this. - totosooner@yahoo.com 13:54:20 06/26/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.