Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Take a look at this.

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I will address them individually. I think a well wired Citation II with an upgraded power supply. (McShane does this too) are great amps, possibly a bit sterile for my tastes but they have great transformers, although I suspect Mcintosh used a little better proprietary wire to wind theirs. However, the point is that Mcintosh knocks it out of the park 90% of the time and has for 60 years. Not once or twice.In fact look at most Citation II's in the straight used market and compare them to a MC 30 on up. The Citations have to be rebuilt, the Mac gear might need a few caps.

Based on Mac's brain trust why would you question their choice of tubes.

(now for the 2nd reply, it applies to the first one)

A picture may look quite similar but I can tell its the things you can't easily see that make the difference. The thickness of the glass on Mac tubes (its much thicker than RCA, Sylvania, ect. NOS tubes). The conductors specified, the exact type and structure of the conductors they require. They also bin select their tubes only accepting those which test in say the top 20%.

Again its far more subtle than a picture and do you really think for $9000 and much more they charge for a tube amp the most demanding engineers in the business are going to pick a $10 or $20 inferior tube?
Stewart

Edits: 06/26/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.