Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: CCS for 6SN7 driver tube

We don't need a CF to drive a KT88 in pentode mode, do we?

Not in pentode but we are going to need some local FB. He wants a very linear output stage and I just don't get using a pair of KT88s in PP for a measly 12 watts..If you only need 12 watts,use the most linear pentodes out there which are the 6V6 and EL84 tube types.He will get all the power he needs and they are both easier to drive than a KT88..
That output circuit is SE in the schematic and he is talking a PP output circuit driven by independent tubes in SE fashion for each half of the cycle.He is going to have to implement AC balance so one driver tube doesn't become more dominant than the other because the top and bottom halves of the sinewave have to be pretty even I would guess especially in this type circuit with limited power.
I think he would be much better off using one CCS plate loaded 6SN7 to drive each tube but use the first half for a voltage amp and the second half for a CF DC coupled driver..This is if he uses KT88s.If he uses 6V6s or EL84s,a basic voltage amp/cap coupled driver would be fine.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.