Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: CCS for 6SN7 driver tube

You may not want to hear this, but in my experience any imbalance, no matter how small, in the two halves of a balanced gain stage will "muddy" the sound. Using SE "halves" there will always be gain differences. No two tubes are identical. The only way in my experience to enforce AC balance is with a differentail pair and the stiffest impedance CCS "tail" you can implement. Also, with the SE approach you have two AC current loops per stage. Each loop takes the signal through the PS (AC current has to flow from the plate to back to the cathode) where it can acquire PS colorations. Also add in the cathode bypass caps. With a differential stage the AC signal current flows from plate to plate and cathode to cathode. One AC current loop with no reference to the PS or ground. AC balance in the two halves is enforced by the high "tail" impedance. Sonically any old CCS will not cut it here. Most of the sonic gains in my system over the years have come from finding better "tail"constant current sinks.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, then speak and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.