Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: "always going to be better than a single power supply"

Mainly subjective, I said that both are good however two transformers is not ALWAYS better than one.

Technically, 2 completely independent amplifiers will be un affected by each other so you will get absolute channel independence and no chance of power supply modulation of one amp to the other unless you are dragging down the power line.

However, if trying to recreate a stereo image of a dude playing an acoustic guitar being recorded by a pair of microphones in that sound field, we are trying to reassemble a single image. Having both channels working off the same power supply helps to bring commonality to both channels to make them sound more like one sound, not two separate sounds. I would rather have any power supply anomaly present equally in both channels than one amp sounding different than the other.

I have pure dual mono and shared power supply amps and frankly sometimes the dual mono seems to have a more artificial separation of the channels. If recreating a stereo image close to how it was recorded is the goal, a well designed common power supply will be more likely balanced between the two channels and have fewer chances of ground loop problems. My preference is a big-ass independent power supply to keep the big power transformers away from the signal.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "always going to be better than a single power supply" - Chip647 08:08:58 06/18/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.