Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Update

I finally found the problems, and there were two of them. While trying to trace a signal through the amp with my scope, I did not see any amplification in the signal coming out or the second 26. Upon looking around that circuit for mistakes in wiring, etc, I noticed that the filaments for that tube were not glowing. Checking the connections to the filament transformer I found that one of the clip leads had worked lose and was not making contact. No wonder I could not hear any difference between two 26's and only one. After I go that fixed I cranked it back up and noticed the B+2 for the second 26 was quite a bit lower than the first 26. Tracing through that circuit I found that I had taken the b+2 voltage off the wrong side of the resistor reducing the b+2 on the first 26 and so was getting a much reduced b+2 that I was further reducing with the resistor for the second 26. Got that all straightened out and now everythsing seems to be working as it should. The gain is much improved and it sounds pretty good. Now I will have to go back and plus everything up to the operating points we came up with the first time around, and then maybe I can try incorporating these changes into the real amp. Thanks for all the help folks, it got me looking in the right direction.

Edits: 05/25/16 05/25/16 05/25/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Update - vinnie2 12:33:07 05/25/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.