Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Are you sure about that?....

I'm curious what a sim might show us, esp using a non-repetitive driving signal.

That is what would be hard to measure in overall application because even tho paper in oil caps have a higher DA,some like Steve Bench have cited the fact they have very stable characteristics with freq change.
This goes back to one of my original points in that we typically do most testing with a single frequency at a time and simple logic tells us that we don't listen to just one frequency at a time.
Now lets say we drive a capacitor with a 20 to 20k sweep and monitor it on a PC thru an 8903 or just a nice audio analyzer in general,I wonder if we could spot any obvious conclusions like non linenerties or excessive distortion at different frequencies of one cap vs another? I would love to be able to measure real world conditions as used in an audio amp or preamp..

I put caps on my Sencore capacitor analyzer and I can measure the most important aspects of the cap from an engineering standpoint but in audio use it can be tricky and sometimes things that are perceived as negative in the engineering world,can be a good thing in audio applications.
I would love to make some conclusive measurements as it pertains to our hobby..Help me set something up.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 05/16/16 05/16/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Are you sure about that?.... - Michael Samra 21:33:41 05/16/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.