Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: This is interesting where Dave is comparing an old HP dedicated Spectrum analyzer

I don't think this video is useful. He frequently points to the HP and says that its busier display indicates superiority. It's been my experience that just the opposite is usually true. In my day job (RF/microwave), we always have to take special measures to rule out the possibility that higher than normal levels of harmonic energy or unexpected spurs aren't being generated in the analyzer itself. It's a common problem, and for me, the video has no credibility because of this.

If you've got a few bucks to toss on the bench, one of the best instruments for audio spectrum work is the analog Stanford Research 760. It will trounce either of the machines in that video for what we do. The downside to the SR760 (and the HP in the video) is that neither can be used to search for HF spurs caused by amplifier oscillations. They simply don't span out far enough for that. For someone on a budget, a better choice might be to buy an Agilent 8560E (30 Hz - 2.9 GHz) for spur searches, and use a soundcard-based FFT for audio spectrum analysis. The latter will do things that basic spectrum analyzers can't, such as automatic THD and IM calculations.

Edits: 05/14/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.