Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Yep good eye! the phono was...

The Silver (Ag) series phono stages used diecast boxes with the white covers. That's what that unit looks like since it has 9-pin tubes (12AX7 I think) instead of the 7-pin 6ER5 that the standard series used. He switched to 12AX7 because the supply of 6ER5 was drying up and he said he found a way to get equivalent performance from lower transconductance tubes.

While George's earlier products did not use boutique parts (except perhaps for output transformers) he did use Hovland and Auricaps in some of his later units and eventually developed a preference for Auricaps because he felt they were more extended in the highs. George didn't always build to order and he did not build all of his products by himself. He had a few guys building for him that were paid by the piece. A friend's pair of WPA-3.5 have stickers on the bottom plates with a "built by __" line and it wasn't George who built them.

How do I know all this? Well, George's gear had a pretty big following in Hawaii and he visited Honolulu a couple of times, bringing with him samples of his latest products. A local dealer, Audio Direction, Ltd. hosted listening/discussion sessions for him and served as a dealer for his product line. Audio Direction closed late last year after the owner, Stewart Ono died. George was a prince of a guy. He had the kind of useful knowledge and experience that old-timers rely on and many book-smart techies don't seem to appreciate.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yep good eye! the phono was... - Kyle K 11:26:14 05/12/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.