Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Examples

Here is a sim of the Typical Operation from the datasheet, 450vrms per plate and 85 ohms effective plate supply impedance per plate with the input cap at 40uf and a load current of 225ma.

The peak repetitive current maximum of 800ma., called "current forward repetitive maximum" by the simulator program and "Steady State Peak Plate Current Maximum" on the datasheet, is being exceeded by 11.51ma. repeatedly.

On the other hand if I decrease the DCR of the secondary winding to 50 ohms (25 ohms per half winding...per plate) the peak current goes to 916.89ma.

If the load current is decreased from 225ma. to 100ma. then the peak repetitive current drops to 507ma. with the DCR of the winding at 25 ohms per plate. and 456ma. when the DCR is 85 ohms per plate.

The point is, the DCR of the power transformer winding, the value of the input cap and the load current are all part of the equation when trying to discern if the peak repetitive current rating of the rectifier tube is going to be exceeded.

The capacitor value given in the datasheet is only the max value for the operating condition given. It's not a one size fits all value.

It's not the capacitor value given in the datasheet that shouldn't be exceeded, it's the peak repetitive current maximum rating of the tube that can not be exceeded without causing harm to the tube.

The maximum cap value will be different for each different set of operating conditions.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Examples - Tre' 08:41:03 05/03/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.