Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Tube voltage doubler

I came up with that 100 muF. value, after perusing a 5U4G data sheet. A 40 muF. part is given as "typical" in the commonplace FWCT setup. As the inrush current limiter provides a margin of safety, I opted for 50 muF./5U4 plate.

Using 100 muF. caps. in the stack of a "full wave" doubler is equivalent to 50 muF. in a FWCT configuration. Cap. generated "hash" should not be beyond your choke's suppression capability.

When really big caps., like the 820 muF. parts found in a "McShaned" H/K Cit. 2, are in a doubler stack, I favor inserting a "hash" filter LC section made from a high current RF choke and a 1000 pF. mica or NPO ceramic cap. between the doubler stack and the main filter choke. Here, RF energy that could pass through the main inductor's winding capacitance is a matter of concern.

BTW, a "hash" filter is never a bad idea. Even if cap. associated noise is not an issue, suppression of garbage riding on the AC mains can only help the cause.

8X Mouser stock # 647-LGN2H101MELZ40, plus voltage equalizing resistors, would make a suitable doubler stack. That part is less than 1 inch in dia. and less than 2 inches tall. Perhaps mimicking Sheldon Stokes, by etching a PCB for those caps., would be a good idea. S/S frequently engineered his cap. PCBs to mount on stand offs attached to power trafo hold down machine screws.

Eli D.

Edits: 05/02/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.