Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Rebuild of MC30s...

The output stage in a Mac has gain of ~2. It is functioning just like a split load inverter. Grid to cathode voltage change is about half the anode-cathode change. If you're measuring gain any other way, it is wrong.

On the Mac, aside from PS improvements Mike has developed, the circuit needs some attention.

The PI should have a better tube than the 12AU7. It will also work better with a CCS in the tail, with its plate loads equalized.

The 12BH7 positive FB can be removed. Install CCS-es instead of the 12k plate loads. The loop of global NFB can then be removed.

Install adjustable bias onto the cathode follower grids. Fixed, fixed bias is just silly( I mean idiotic, ridiculous, stupid...foolish ). Measure idle current through the DCR of the cathode winding. While you're in there, use 12AT7 for the CF...much better than the 12AX7.

Finally, the 12AX7 can be swapped for a 12AY7. These are fantastic tubes, and the 12AX7 gain is not needed. Slight bump to the cathode resistor puts the operating point where it needs to be.
cheers,
Douglas

Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world...but thou art standing where I am about to shoot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.