Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Rebuild of MC30s...

Are you aware that your attached diagram fully supports the gain ~<2 position? Notice at the bottom of the diagram just below the EL86 the notation "A=1.7/4.5dB". Clearly, 4.5dB is "gain" and is greater than 0dB. Keep in mind you must measure from a-k and g1-k for your voltages because that's consistent with the definition of gain.

Technically, the 12BH7 does not "put" signal on the plate of the output tube. The 12BH7 plate supply voltage is derived from the plate of the opposite phase output tube. This is a form of positive feedback and increases stage gain and increases effective plate supply voltage to ~>2X DC value thus greatly increasing AC voltage swing capabilities. This is what "bootstrapping" is all about

Regarding Doc Hoyer; I've spoken with him in the past (pair of custom transformer winds) and he is surely knowledgable so maybe there's a misunderstanding somewhere in your discussions with him. It may also be possible that he misunderstands the unity coupled output stage although that seems unlikely.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.