Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Rebuild of MC30s

I've spent hours staring at the schematic. It took about two hours to figure out (I think) the output circuit. The rest of the circuit I don't fully understand; my approximation (guess) is lots of gain, almost all of which is fedback six ways from Sunday to reduce distortion.

On the output circuit, my take is that McIntosh gets more gain out the output tube than it is designed to give (by modulating one screen voltage with the other tube's plate voltage, screen voltage being mostly responsible for gain) then feeds most of it back to reduce distortion.

While I understand and appreciate constant current voltage amplification, I don't want to screw with what I don't understand, the 12AU7 being buried inside a bunch of feedback loops. The 6CG7 sub doesn't seem like a big deal, since the gain is the same, the differences in interelectrode capacitance is negligible at audio frequencies in a linear (vice RIAA) amp, and the amp was has sufficient excess heater current capability

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.