Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Sherwood S-5000 output-transformers

The "iron" you have will work well mated to any of the commonly used "12" W. multi-grid power O/P tubes. The advantage of the 7189 is the ability to squeeze out 20 WPC. The only affordable 7189 equivalent available is the Russian 6p14p-ev, AKA EL84M. NOS is (IMO) prohibitively over priced.

Any number of circuits will work with those fine transformers. Of course, you could "copy" the Sherwood 5000's power section, but suitable small signal pentode/triodes are either "unobtainium" or scarce and getting scarcer. If you go that route, the tube I suggest is the 6BL8. Another possibility is modeling and improving the Dyna ST-35. I'll grind my own axe and suggest you build an "El Cheapo" with triode/UL mode switches. You will not need a preamp with E/C, if 2 VRMS sources, like CDPs, are used. You will be breaking a bit of new ground if E/C style circuitry is used with "fixed" or combination bias and EL84Ms. OTOH, approaching the 20 WPC mark that Sherwood established becomes possible.

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.