Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: FULTON 's " Footlocker " Amplifier ... Finally Revealed

The real problem was the Luxman MB-3045's original design - that the young engineer, Tim, did not run the tubes conservatively to start with.

THAT, I know today, is simply NOT good engineering.

Now a days, my " second " audio mentor ( Bob was my first ) has taught me to run tubes at Golden Ratio proportions of their maximum plate dissipations, ( 62% ) and the tubes last, almost " forever" and actually SOUND less stressed also, as a bonus to boot. Live and learn !!

So, as a modern example, my DIY 2015-designed and built Type 45 SET amp dissipates 6.2 Watts from a 10 Watt rated plate. Perfect.

Yes, Robert Fulton was gifted, and a gentleman - a born-again Christian who walked the walk. Robert was 19 years older than I, and like a father-figure to me. I loved him, miss him, but he remains in my heart.

His speakers' 1.6 mHY inductors were called " wroinkers " because they were the coils from Packard cars, starting motors, which were "dumped" by Packard when they went from 6 to 12 Volt systems. The " wroinker " was the sound of the car, when starting with a 6 volt system in the cold Minnesota winter !! :-).

Fun in Minneapolis, at the FMI speaker factory.

BTW, HaHax, we two share a mutual friend, MZ.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 04/24/16 04/24/16 04/24/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.