Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

hot time in the old cap tonight....

The attached schem is for my version of willie's 26/26/45 amp, at least I think it is. I drew it up back when I breadboarded the amp. It was working at that time and sounding good. I am now building the final version and I have run into a snag.
The cap on the cathode resitor of the 45 on the right channel blew up on me when I was bring up the B+ voltage after having checked the filament voltages and adjusting them. I looked everything over and could not see any errors so I thought just maybe it was a freak bad cap. Put in another and kept a close eye on it this time and sure enough it started getting hot and the end bulged a tad before I shut it down.I am guessing it was on it's way to blowing again.
So my first question is a general one. Does anyone see any thing in the schem that would make this a non-functional circuit? I might have made a mistake copying it down as I built the breadboard.
My second question, if the circuit appears alright, what would be likely to cause problems with the cathode cap? I checked the hum pot and the resistor and they seem ok. Iam puzzled once again.

Correction!!
Just noticed that I put in the operating points for the 45 and said they were for the 26. The 26 points are actually

plate volts 105vdc
plate current 6mA
grid volts -4.5
cathode resistor 820 ohms
bypass cap is 100uf/35vdc

Edits: 04/18/16 04/18/16 04/18/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - hot time in the old cap tonight.... - vinnie2 05:58:10 04/18/16 (21)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.